Community Music Center of Boston
Current Job Openings
Dance Teaching Artist
- Close Date
- 30 Aug 2019
Summary of Position:
Community Music Center of Boston is seeking a dynamic dance educator for our innovative school outreach program. The dance teaching-artist will provide a creative dance program for elementary school students in Boston Public Schools.
The dance teacher selected for this position will be a strong educator and a versatile artist who is able to adapt the goals and curriculum of our program to best utilize their own skill specialties, as well as engage the interests and abilities of the students. Applicants should possess a firm command of classroom management skills and the ability to work effectively and enthusiastically with diverse student populations in an inclusive manner.
Dance teacher applicants should possess fluency in a variety of dance styles such as creative movement, modern, jazz, lyrical, hip-hop, theatre dance and multi-cultural dance. Applicants should possess a firm command of classroom management skills and the ability to work effectively and enthusiastically with diverse student populations.
Applicants with Spanish and/or Haitian Creole language skills are especially encouraged to apply. Applicants with an interest/experience in creative youth development and social/emotional growth are especially encouraged to apply.
Specific schedules will be determined by the applicant’s qualifications and availability.
Status: Part-Time Teaching for School Year 2019-2020; School day hours
Start Date: September 1, 2019-June 30, 2020
Reports to: Director of School Outreach Program
Works Closely With: Department Supervisors & Partner School staff
- Foster and leverage CMCB’s strong reputation as an extraordinary community music school to sustain current programming and to develop future opportunities for expansion and growth.
- Ensure the highest level of programs and services that meets the needs of the communities we serve.
- Be an active, knowledgeable and visible ambassador for CMCB in the community.
- Maintain personal teaching schedule consistently.
- Attend professional development workshops as scheduled throughout the year.
- Attend a mid-year and year-end coaching conference with supervisor.
- Respond within 48 business hours to requests for information from supervisors.
- Submit monthly lesson plans and complete professional development related tasks.
- Actively demonstrate departmental protocols and practices; demonstrate engagement with annual instructional focus and organizational goal alignment.
- Design, document and execute weekly lesson plans that engage students with diverse age-appropriate content in a creative manner.
- Provide challenging, accessible, and motivating repertoire via multiple teaching modalities to create a comprehensive student-centered classroom experience for students.
- Manage student behaviors consistently in a proactive manner that mirrors school protocols and professional best practices.
- Communicate and coordinate with teaching professionals in a way that builds productive professional relationships with both partner school staff and CMCB colleagues.
- Present at least two culminating performances annually.
- Undergraduate degree in Dance, Performing Arts, Education or equivalent experience
- Experience working with the arts, children and education
- Experience teaching dance in a school classroom setting
- Demonstrated leadership skills and success working with children
- Commitment to cultural competency practices related to diversity, equity & inclusion
- Energetic, reliable, independent, and flexible
- Possesses excellent inter-personal communication skills & the ability to create positive workplace relationships
- Able to work collaboratively with supervisors, colleagues and school staff
- Must have a passion for both arts education & working with diverse student populations
Please upload your resume and cover letter to: https://cmcb.mytribehr.com/careers/view/88
Please direct the cover letter to:
Marie Tai, Chief Operations Officer
Please no phone calls, emails or walk-ins
Community Music Center of Boston is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer