Community Music Center of Boston
Current Job Openings
Early Childhood Voice & Piano Teacher
- Close Date
- 31 May 2019
Summary of Position
Our Early Childhood teachers facilitate beginning instrument, music, and movement training in groups of children ages 5 months to 7 years old. In 45 minute classes, teachers provide the groundwork of music education and fundamentals, support a growing love and appreciation of music, and instruct technical skills specific to the designated instruments. Our classes support the development of fine and gross motor skills, recognition and understanding, a kindling of interpersonal relationships, and when applicable, the importance of practice outside of class. Our teachers have direct communication with families and caretakers, and often provide the groundwork for continuing education for adults to lead at home. Other skills taught in class may include basic rhythm and melodic introductions through examples and the use of other hand instruments, the basics of music theory and notation, sight singing, a cappella and accompanied singing, creative movement with or without props (scarves, hoops, parachutes, etc.), guided drama activities, and the beginnings of any other new instruments geared towards overall musical development based on the teacher’s own curriculum.
Classes are capped at 4, 5, or 8 students depending on the discipline. Lesson plans are developed and provided by the Early Childhood teachers, and are overseen by the Early Childhood Director.
There is potential to expand position through more class offerings and substitute teaching within the Early Childhood program.
Reports to: Early Childhood Director
Start Date: Summer 2019
Schedule: Wednesdays for 5 weeks (June 26-July 24) – Three 45-minute classes
3:00 PM Beginning Piano, 3:45 PM Beginning Voice, 4:30 PM Beginning Piano
Works Closely With: Early Childhood Director
• Setup and breakdown for class
• Review and understand early childhood pedagogy and support its implementation
• Engage students in a weekly music class
• Communicate with adult caregivers as necessary
• Attend a required staff orientation prior to Fall instruction at the start of a new school year
• Observe at least 1 other pre-existing Early Childhood class
• Assist in recruitment activities
• Attend and assist with set-up, clean-up, and facilitation of two culminating events per year
• Maintain accurate attendance records and report any discrepancies to Early Childhood Director
• Communicate regularly with Early Childhood Director, including at least one end of year debrief meeting
• Bachelor’s degree in Music, Performing Arts or related field preferred
• Experience with children ages 7 and younger
• Previous classroom teaching experience preferred
• Knowledge of early childhood music education methods preferred
• Must be fun, energetic, engaging, personable and comfortable leading groups of people
To apply please upload a resume to: https://cmcb.mytribehr.com/careers/view/81
If attaching a cover letter please address it to Marie Tai, Chief Operating Officer.
Please no walk-ins, emails or phone calls.