Community Music Center of Boston
Current Job Openings
Satellite Youth Choir Director for Neighborhood House Charter School
- Close Date
- 30 Apr 2019
Summary of Position:
Community Music Center of Boston is seeking a dynamic Youth Choir Director teaching artist for a partnership with Neighborhood House Charter School after school program. The teaching artist will lead a creative instrumental program for grades 2-4. As part of a comprehensive partnership effort, Community Music Center of Boston artistic staff will provide support in terms of curriculum design, professional development and supervision.
Start Date: March 27, 2019 – June 12, 2019
Teaching schedule: Three hours on Wednesday afternoons from 1:30pm-4:30pm
Reports to: Quentin Powell, Community Engagement & Partnerships Manager
Works Closely With: Community Engagement & Partnerships Manager, Administrative Director, School Partner Teachers and Staff
Accountability for Student Achievement:
Sets ambitious learning goals for all students, creates cognitively demanding tasks, and models the belief that that all students can master challenging material through effective effort.
Passionate and optimistic about their students, their content, and the teaching profession.
Communicating Content Knowledge:
Demonstrates mastery content pedagogy.
Demonstrates understanding of cross-curricular connections.
Can convey content in a creative and engaging ways that aligns with standards.
Equitable & Effective Instruction:
Scaffolds and differentiates instruction in order for all students to do complex thinking and rigorous academic work.
Uses instructional practices that are likely to challenge, motivate, and engage all students and facilitate equitable, active student participation.
Builds a productive learning environment where every student participates and is valued in the class community.
Actively creates and maintains an environment in which students’ diverse backgrounds, identities, strengths, and challenges are respected
Engages with families and builds collaborative, respectful relationships with them in service of student learning
Able to communicate as needed with families regarding tuition, schedule changes and dismissal.
Safely execute dismissal procedures on a daily basis
Professional Reflection & Collaboration:
Regularly reflects on practice, seeks and responds to feedback, and demonstrates self-awareness and commitment to continuous learning and development
Seeks to participate in and contribute to a collaborative adult learning community
- Teach 3 class periods per week for the pilot program.
- Engage groups of students and promote a sense of teamwork in an encouraging and structured environment.
- Plan age-appropriate lessons and rehearsals that meet the needs of students.
- Employ repertoire that engage multiple teaching modalities.
- Manage student behaviors consistently in a proactive manner that mirrors school protocols.
- Communicate with and coordinate with partner agency staff to create a comprehensive curriculum and classroom experience for students.
- Work towards culminating performances that showcases student learning.
- Minimum undergraduate degree in Music, Performing Arts, Education or equivalent experience
- Interest and experience working with the arts, children and education
- Music teaching experience in an urban public school classroom setting
- Demonstrated leadership skills and experience working with elementary school aged children
- Energetic, reliable, independent, and flexible
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Able to work collaboratively with supervisors and colleagues
- Must have a passion for both arts education & working with diverse urban youth
- Strong command of responsive classroom management skills and the ability to work effectively with inner-city student populations who have experienced some degree of trauma.
- Ability to adapt the goals and curriculum of our program to best utilize their own skill specialties, as well as meet the interests and abilities of the students.
Please upload your resume to: http://cmcb.mytribehr.com/careers/view/79
If attaching a cover letter, please direct to:
Marie Tai, Chief Operations Officer
Please no phone calls, emails or walk-ins